March 11, 2010

Why I love living in the city

When I decided to walk to run my errands today I didn't expect to travel quite as far as I did.  I thought that Dollar General or Kmart would certainly have the colored printer paper I needed.  I was wrong.

After around 3.5 miles (estimated using a great mapping program called "Map my walk") of walking today I got some of what I expected to buy, some good finds, and no colored paper.  Fortunately I enjoyed my walk and now know that I can walk to Kmart, Kamm's Corners and the Westpark Library from my house no problem.  I don't foresee going to all 3 on the same trip next time though.

I do look forward to running more errands with my feet instead of my wheels.  It was nice to get outside and I know that if I keep this up, I will certainly see good results when swimsuit season arrives.  I hope that the weather here continues to cooperate.  Maybe I'll walk to get my groceries next shopping trip.  Giant Eagle is even closer to my house than Kamm's so it is certainly a viable option. 

Walking to get groceries and the like is something it took me a while to appreciate doing in college.  But without wheels living in downtown Milwaukee I had 3 options.

1. Use my feet
2. Ride the bus
3. Bum a ride

The bus came in handy sometimes.  But really who likes to have to act according to someone else's schedule; not me.  Bumming a ride was fine, but most of the friends I had in college preferred walking around anyway so the feet were used more often than not.

Now I really enjoy the idea tha I can walk places like Kmart, grocery store, library, etc.  Admittedly this is the first time I have done so since I moved to Westpark.  I blame the weather for that.  Now that I've done it, I feel more confident that when the weather is reasonable I will be walking more places.

Happy Walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment