March 17, 2010

Ahh...the joys of homeownership

New House + New Home Buyer Credit = Taxes, Yay!!

Really, I am feeling well, no fever.  Just thrilled to find out that I did qualify for the New Home Buyer tax credit.  I was pretty sure that I wouldn't, but definitely had to ask my tax accountant to be sure I didn't miss out on any tax refund goodness.  Thanks for being the expert Jaimee, you are awesome!

If you want Jaimee's contact info, just let me know, she really is great, knowledgable, reasonably priced, and willing to do my taxes from all the way over in NJ.

Celebrated the good tax refund news with Corrie (from Cleveland Knits West) at Angelo's.  Hawaiian Pizza and Mr. Pibb, make a great celebratory lunch.  BTW, if you ever get to Lakewood, go to Angelo's, the pizza rocks (1/2 price when you eat in on Monday's), it has great atmosphere, and is a locally owned business.

In other good news, the weather continues to be spring like here in Cleveland.  Today's sunshine inspired me to trim my nasty car eating bush.  It sits right next to the driveway, OK until about 4 pm this afternoon, hung into the driveway and regulary tried to attack any car that came close.

Here's a view of the house from my driveway.  You can see the offending bush, well its branches at least, hanging out into the driveway.


Given the nice weather, I saw no reason why I shouldn't attempt to win back my driveway today.  The bush  before I trimmed it.

When me and the hedge trimmers were through, the bush had lost its ability to eat cars in the driveway.  I'm not sure I'll like the results of my trim job when the thing actually has leaves on it, but that remains to be seen.


Bonus: I had no problem backing my car into the driveway tonight since I didn't have to watch closely for the bush.

During the pre-purchase home inspection a few things were brought to my attention.  One, the fake green astro-turf like stuff on my front porch and steps should be removed.  This will help cut back on moisture build up in the crawl space below.  No problem, I don't care much for the stuff anyway.  Thanks to one of the more recent wind storms, part of the carpet started to pull itself from the concrete.  I was thrilled to find out that I could just pull up the rest of that piece and send it off with the trash yesterday.

Today, I moved the welcome mat to see if I could see a difference in the concrete, since the welcome mat had been holding in moisture, I could.



I'm going to venture out on a limb and say, that concrete is probably not supposed to look that it is shedding rocks.  I know that sanding (Fun with power tools  :) with the proper tool will remove the carpet glue from the concrete.  But I'm definitely curious what sanding will do to the spot that looks like it was patched, and certainly needs to be patched again!


The most disturbing part of this, is I'm actually looking forward to either borrowing or renting the correct equipment to sand concrete.  I'm sure that ear plugs, a face mask and gloves will be involved and I'm still quite thrilled to attack this project.

More to come soon...I've got a progress report for Epic Knitting Project #1 and hope to have pictures of Craft Room V1.0 to share before the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment