March 19, 2010

Epic Projects

Last fall Jared Flood held classes at Loop in Philly.  A fellow SnB'er wanted to attend the Girasole class and I couldn't resist this ginormous lace concoction.  It truly is beautiful.  I knew when I started this it would be an on-again off-again project.  Making anything that is 5 feet in diameter out of lace weight yarn is going to take a while.  With that in mind I started my first multi-year knitting project.

Needless to say I started it during the class, finished the first chart and quickly but it aside to start my Christmas knitting.  Christmas knitting was extensive this past year, finally completed in February.  So I've picked up the Girasole again and gladly completed the second chart.


Trust me when I say, this is only the beginning.  There are 5 more charts, some of which are repeated.  I'm in love with this project, but enjoying the option of setting it aside to work on something else as well.

In fact, I've started my first real pair of socks.  They are done in a cool colorway called "Sis Boom Bah" from Scout's Swag.  No pictures of the actual sock project, but here's the yarn and needles waiting to begin transformation.


These socks will most likely be a gift, because I know someone who is going to love this colorway, even more than me, my Mom.  The pattern I'm using is Sinuosity, by KnittingNonStop.  Dawn is awesome, tons of fun, designs great patterns and just happens to be one of the local CKW (cleveland knits west) knitters.  So the fact that there is Sinuosity KAL (knit along) happening right now should come as no surprise.

This is the first time I've participated in a knit along.  They are cool since you have access to many other knitters who are working through the same pattern at the same time to ask questions.  Or in my case, learn how to cable with out cable needles from.  PKJewelry has been helping me with my cabling education.  I can now do knit twists, both left and right with out a cable needle!  Pam is also a lady of many talents.  I bought my awesome chocolate row counter shown in the Girasole photo from her etsy shop.

Ok, enough typing about knitting.  Its time to head to Eric's to make bacon crackers, praline bacon (sense a theme yet) and other tasty(not healthy) finger food to eat while watching OSU in the tourney tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I can't begin to imagine the huge task that is a 5 foot square of lace weight yarn!!!! Congrats on the start of a beautiful (and extended) friendship with that pattern :-) And congrats on the sock knitting. I look forward to seeing the way it striped up!

    ReplyDelete